Welcome to Wright “B” Flyer
The Wright “B” Flyer Hangar/Museum is once again open for visitors on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays from 9:00am to 12:00pm so please come out for a visit. But, please click here for announcements of closings around the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays, other holidays and rarely for special events.
We will soon offer orientation flights, once again, in the Wright-B-Flyer lookalike in the very near future as we satisfy final FAA requirement testing for our new carriage assembly.
Come Visit Us
For a generation, Wright “B” Flyer Inc. has celebrated the legacy of the Wright brothers in Dayton, Ohio by flying and displaying a modern lookalike of their first production airplane—the Model B. Now, we’ve finished building our latest lookalike Model “B” Flyer to ensure our mission continues for the next generation. Originally, we planned to complete this latest flyer in the very-same factory that produced the original Wright B Flyers more than a century ago. However, a devastating fire at the restoration site, required us to finish the build and follow-up testing at our current hangar on Springboro Road, in Miamisburg.
Wilbur and Orville Wright built America’s first airplane factory in Dayton in 1910. The Model B was its first product. Our first plane built at this hangar was nicknamed the “Brown Bird,”.
This latest build of the Model B is nicknamed the White Bird. It has been built to modern standards with modern materials and components.
Learn how you can continue helping us to display as we tour with our newest airplane. Or visit us at Dayton-Wright Brothers Airport (KMGY) Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, 9am-12:00pm, Admission is free!
The newest built flyer attends special events throughout the year. One event, in particular, is the Vectren Dayton Air Show held each year at the Dayton International Airport. Check out our calendar of events to see what we have planned.
MAJOR WHITE BIRD ACTIVITIES
- Winter 2022-2023
- Developed methods to remove fuselage/empennage.
- Developed a method to fold blinkers and pilot platform.
- Aircraft was designed using CAD to do this: fit into standard shipping container to ship worldwide and reassemble in ~4 hours.
- Spring/Summer 2023
- Continued hops and pattern flights to assess CG location vs. stick/throttle/stabilator positions; best takeoff and landing; slow speed flight using wing tufts.
- Completed 40 hr. test program for FAA experimental category certification.
- Short cross-country flight.
- Centerville Americana Parade with half-scale and Model T participation.
- Pattern guest flight with Tom Scott, YouTuber. 1.1M views so far,
- Dayton Airshow for White Bird first public flights. Flew there Thursday, performed Saturday and Sunday, and flew home Tuesday.
- On static display when not flying. Many thanks to Sinclair Aviation program for hangar space and support.
- First Flight Wheels and Wings. Fly overs and static display from our hangar.
- Kettering Holiday at Homes. Flyover during parade and half-scale walk in the parade.
- Carillon Park Concours. Flyover at noon on Sunday.
- Hawthorn Hill Flyover at the Wright Brothers Oakwood Residence.
- Summer/Fall 2023
- Warbird Flyng Showcase. Flyover and landing at Clermont County Airport.
- Huffman Prairie flyovers with celebrities.